Monday, August 17, 2009

Frozen Coconut Dessert


I am excited to see coconut, one of my favorite foods available these days. In the ice cream aisle at Whole Foods (which I am currently boycotting) there are now several frozen desserts that use coconut as a base. At one of our favorite (kinda) quick food stops, Java Green you can get a whole chilled young coconut, a young coconut meat salad or a raw "milk shake" that is primarily made of coconut.

Recently I have developed a new frozen dessert that seems to be great on its own or with other flavors incorporated. I enjoy it as much or more than any other ice cream that I have ever had. It is light and fresh but still creamy, it seems to not mute other flavors the way that ice cream sometimes can. The only problem is that I have no idea what to call it–coconut ice cream is already taken and coconut sorbet seems like an understatement! At the last home restaurant I made a ginger flavored frozen coconut dessert that I served with a fresh fig tart.

This is my basic recipe that I freeze in an ice cream maker. You can infuse any flavor by steeping it in some of the coconut milk or folding in a fresh fruit puree.

Frozen Coconut
1 cup young coconut water
1 cup young coconut meat
3 cups coconut milk
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons coconut butter
1 cups agave nectar
1 teaspoon himalyan salt

Combine all the ingredients in a high speed blender.
Chill and freeze in an ice cream maker.

No comments: